largest amphitheater in the world was capable of seating 50.000 spectators, was
used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles and dramas based on
classical mythology. One of the greatest works of Roman architecture, was built
under the emperors Vespasian and Domitian during the first century. Photos from
is a ghost town near the Namib desert and the port town of Luderitz. After
diamonds were found in the area, lots of German miners settled here. Driven by
the enormous wealth of the first diamond miners, the residents built the
village in the architectural style of a German town, with amenities and
institutions including a ballroom hall, a hospital (Photo 5), a school, a
theater, a casino and even a bowling hall (Photo 6). It also had a railway link
to the coast.
the town declined fast after the diamond-field got slowly exhausted and new
deposits were found further south. The town was definitely abandoned in 1954
and the geological forces of the desert took control of the place. The houses
are now knee-deep in sand; the desert has reclaimed this once-thriving town.
from the greenest Ireland, including some images of Lake Corrib and its
surroundings, Ross Errilly Abbey, Kylemore Abbey and the village of Cong, world-famous since
John Ford’s masterpiece “The quiet man” was shoot there. Photos from summer
photos taken in 2003 showing the Plaza Mayor, the House of the Shells, The Cathedral,
the University, with its plateresque
façade and other streets and places of the old city center, a UNESCO world heritage site since 1988.
Incas started building the Machu Picchu around the year 1400, but abandoned it
as an official site for the Inca rulers a century later at the time of the Spanish Conquest. Although known locally, it was unknown to the outside world before
being brought to international attention in 1911 by the American historian Hiram Bingham. Since then, Machu Picchu has been known as one of the wonders of the
world. Photos from summer 2009.