The Monastery of Saint John of the Kings is a historic monastery in Toledo, Spain, built by the Catholic Monarchs (1477–1504) to commemorate both the birth of their son, Prince John, and their victory at the Battle of Toro (1476) over the army of Afonso V of Portugal.
Toledo was chosen as the site for building the monastery due to its central geographic location and because it had been the capital of the ancient Visigoth kingdom, symbolically reconstituted by Isabella and Ferdinand with the restoration of the lost unity of Spain, through the union of Castile with Aragon.
The monastery is an example of Gothic style with Spanish and Flemish influences. Its cloister has a small garden. Its upper cloisters, first completed in 1526 and restored in the 19th century, contain Mudéjar ornamentation,
Photos from Summer 2015